STUDENTS STUDYING ABROAD SHOULD DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Register for classes for the upcoming semester (15+ credits) at Howard as if you were going to attend classes on campus- Required.
- Fill out Residence Life Departure Form HERE and inform your RA that you plan to move out to study abroad. (Not Required for summer study abroad)
- Get your passport ASAP and inquire about how to get a visa, if applicable.
- Remove all financial holds on HU account.
- Fill out the Study Abroad Budget Form HERE
- Register for the STEP Program HERE
- Apply for a travel visa IF your study abroad country requires one. Can can be done with the support of the program provider only after they provide you a program acceptance letter.
- Attend pre-departure workshops at Bunche Center (Listed Below)
- Attend the Mandatory Pre-departure Orientation in the RBC
For ALL students going abroad in the summer of fall THREE of the following events will be REQUIRED Workshops
- Fall 2017 Bison Abroad Alum Night of Reflection Video/Photo Exhibition– February 21, from 6:00- 8:00 pm. At this event see what studying abroad was like through the eyes of HU students who spent the fall 2017 semester abroad. Through photos, film, writing, etc. students will share with the HU community what living and learning outside of the US has meant to them. *
- Monday, April 16, 4-5pm, “Intercultural Competency Development- What is it? Why is it important?”
- Tues, April 17, 4-5pm “HBCU to PWI: The Inner group dynamics within the study abroad participation group”
- Weds April 18, 4-5pm “Post-Study Abroad: What will you have to show from your time abroad?”
- Thurs April 19, 4-5pm “First Time Travelers Abroad: What to Know Before You Go”
- Friday, April 20, 4-5pm “#Studyabroadsoblack: W,W,W,W,W, How are YOU part of this movement?”
- Are you an Afropolitan? (4/23, Mon, 6-7:30 pm)
- Summer 2018 Pre-Departure Orientation – Wednesday, April 25, 6 pm- 7:00 pm.– REQUIRED FOR ALL
- Fall 2018 Pre-Departure Orientation- Saturday, April 21, 9-12pm.– REQUIRED FOR ALL