STEPS TO STUDY ABROAD:
- Attend a mandatory information session from 3:00-4:00pm, Tuesdays & Wednesdays, in the Bunche Center.
- List all your major/minor courses needed to graduate on-time & search through study abroad programs visible through the Program Partners websites.
- Identify 1-2 programs that offer a minimum of 6 courses (18 credits) related to your remaining course requirements
- Visit the Bunche Center during office hours* and meet with the Study Abroad Program Manager to discuss your choices and steps forward!
- Submit the HU Bison Abroad Application and a scanned copy of your course approval form, transcript and the photograph page of your passport to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 25th. In the subject line write: Full name, program provider name, country, city)
*Advising Office Hours: Tues-Friday, 1:00pm-5:00pm (meetings may conflict)
- Minimum of 1-year at Howard University
- 3.0+ GPA*
- Be in good standing at HU (No Holds on Account)
- Ability to earn HU credit for 12+ ** credits abroad (per semester)
- A passport by Pre-Departure Orientation
- Attendance at Pre-Departure Orientation
* 2.75+ you can write a letter of appeal to override the GPA restriction
** 18+ course approval requirement
TOP 10 BISON ABROAD FAQS:
When can I study abroad?
Students are eligible to study abroad after they have spent two semesters studying on Howard’s campus and up to the fall semester of their senior year.
Note: Students should prepare to study abroad NOW. The more electives, language classes and general courses that you have left on your scheme, the more locations that you have the option of traveling to.
How long can I study abroad?
Through the RBC, Howard students can study for up to 1- academic year and/or during the summer as long as they meet the eligibility requirements.
Where can I study abroad?
Howard Students can study abroad in the following regions, Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Canada, Europe, Latin America, the South Pacific, and the Middle East.
How much does it cost to study abroad?
Studying abroad at Howard can be approximately the same price as staying on campus! The price will depend on the program that you select.
Does my Howard scholarship apply to study abroad?
Yes, during the academic school year. However, these funds are not applicable during summer study abroad. Private scholarships and loans can be used during the summer with advance preparation.
Do I have to know a foreign language to go abroad?
No. You can travel to many different countries and take class in English and classes to learn the local language. However, a few programs do have a language requirement.
Where would I live while abroad?
Howard students have multiple options including, a homestay, an apartment, or on- campus. The choice is generally up to the student and dependent upon what the program offers in any give city.
Should I be worried about my security while abroad?
Howard students must travel to locations that are not listed on the US State Department’s Travel Warning List. Thus, travel abroad is generally safe and students are in no more at threat abroad than in the US.
Why should I study abroad?
There are a million different reasons to go abroad, but a few are as follows:
- To experience & learn a new culture and language
- To learn about your major/minor from an international perspective
- To learn about the US from an outside context
- To experience a new university style/system
- To make yourself a competitive applicant for future opportunities (jobs, internships, fellowships, graduate school, etc.)